Friday, July 29, 2011

A Letter To Clothing Retailers: Plus Size does not = UGLY!

Dear Clothing Retailers,


Michael by Michael Kors
Let me start by thanking many of you who have in the last 10 year improved your selection of Plus or "Women's"  size clothing. (Nordstrom and Macy's)  I remember being a teenager and going to the department store and everything was either giant shapeless tee shirts or giant floral poly/cotton blend blouses.  Not something a 15 year old wants to wear.  (A made a lot of my clothing in high school and thankfully Grunge and Boho style was in so I could get away with throw backs and flannel.) 


When I first discovered Fashion Bug it was a life saver.  It was finally a place where I could find more fashionable clothing that did not look like a mumu.  I felt less bad about not being able to shop at The Gap, Express, or the like.  Well, at least that was was I told myself.


Now there are many retailers that LIMIT their plus size selection to online shopping - I'M TALKING TO YOU OLD NAVY!!!  Though I like some of your clothing very much, the fact that I can no longer go to one of your stores to try anything on-it is frustrating.  I should not be banished because I am not a 0-14.  


Old Navy Plus Size (Summer 2011)
I had high hopes when the TJMaxx opened this spring on 86th Street.  With the exit of Lane Bryant and Century 21 no longer carrying ANY plus sizes but when I went in to discover there were ONLY 2 racks in a four story shop of plus sizes, it was a let down.  Confined to online shopping, yet again.


Here is the upside of online shopping though.  Many of you retailers are innovating, expanding, and embracing the plus size market and I imagine doing well as American is a nation of many plus size people (who are such for a plethora of reasons).   I love some of the shapes, colors, textures you are using in many of your collections.  I also appreciate many of the designers who include "special sizes" in your collections.  Michael Kors, Calvin Kline, DKNY.  Thank you.  I feel confident that I can find something that looks professional has some tailoring and wont make me look like I am wearing a tent.  I thank you for this. 


I will most likely always be a plus size girl- I never expect to be able to shop at places that only carry size 0-12, nor do I want to at this point in my life.  I just want and appreciate options for my body shape that don't look like old lady who retired to Florida or skanky teenage girl. (See where Torrid can go so so wrong


Thank you to those who provide those options happily!  I will continue to be a loyal customer.


Happy Shopping, 
Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment