Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Letter to the MDPHS Class of 2011

Dear Graduates,
When many of you walked through our doors when we opened the Fall of 2008 none of us knew what to expect.  It was a new school, a new group of students just looking for another chance.  I was looking for something new too: a new career.  You didn't know it was my first year as a teacher.  I dove in head first and you trusted me to be a teacher and mentor.  


Graduates, Family, and Friends
Friday, when I got to see so many of you sitting there in your caps and gowns, walking across the stage it was the end of a long journey for both you and me.  I have watched you grow, learn and become more amazing people with each step.  You have seen me laugh and cry.  You have seen me struggle along with you and get so angry all I could do was step out of a room.  You humored me when I demonstrated just how old I was and you generously listened to countless stories about Charlie and me.


More importantly, YOU educated me.  I thought I knew, but I had no idea.  Your strength and diligence amazes me.  The loss many of you have encountered is something I can only imagine.  The stories you have shared about growing up in Brooklyn are indeed badges of honor and I admire how candid many of you have been, sharing your stories, your trials, and a genuine honesty about what it means to grow up in New York City.


As you leave our school and go onto the next leg of your journey, know that you can do what ever you choose.  Your life is your own and it is up to you to make it happen.  Continue to grow.  Continue to inspire the people around you.  Continue to be the amazing people I know each and every one of you are. 


Many of you have asked me when I would be having children and I always tell you, "You are my children.  I have 200 teenagers."  I would not change my family for anything in the world and I could not be more proud of each and every one of you.


Love,
Ms. T

No comments:

Post a Comment