Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Letter to Lost Friends

Dear Lost Friends,

I miss you.  One of the hardest parts of growing up is learning that not everyone is going to be a friend for life.  I know I am lucky to have a few friends who have been my friend longer than I have been alive.  They are my history.  Just a few of them, but they exist...those childhood friends.  Then there are the friends from college, who I know will be with me till the end, but there are just a few of them.  


But then there are those of you who I have lost, either to my own stupidity or to a choice that was made to end a friendship or simply time allowing us to drift apart.  There are a few of you who have discarded me and cast me off.  I'm sorry that we could not get back to a place where our friendship could thrive.  There are a few of you where the damage was done and we can never go back; I mourn for you just the same.


There are a few, who have just got lost along the way- I don't know what happened to them: where they are, how they slipped away.  Those of you where it was really no ones fault, it was just part of growing up.  There are countless times when I think back on the first 34 years of my life and all the people I have known.  You were a part of my life and I have fond memories of growing up with you.


Now, as an adult, I find it much harder to make friends and loneliness is more frequent as friends are spread farther and farther apart, are having children, and are settling into their adult lives. Life is changing once again and I miss you.  I miss those of you I have lost track of, those of you I have lost and those of you who I feel like I am starting to say goodbye to now.  Growing pains I suppose.  My own insecurities in some cases that not having my own children I will not be included in the lives of some of my closest friends children.  I want to be the best Auntie I can be.  


To my friends, I miss you.  All of you.


Best,
Meredith





No comments:

Post a Comment