Monday, June 20, 2011

Lift Every Voice and Sing; Let Marriage Ring: A Letter to the New York State Senate

Dear Senators,


It is time to evolve.  It is time to acknowledge what you all know deep in your hearts: marriage is not about procreation.  Marriage is about love, partnership, and commitment.  It is about sharing your life with one person for the duration.  In a time where 50% of heterosexual couples divorce, I don't know what is a bigger F-YOU to the "sanctity of marriage".  I certainly can think of many gay and lesbian couples that I have had the pleasure of knowing who's partnerships have long outlasted many of my straight friends.  


That said, partnership is partnership and commitment is commitment- gender aside.  I struggle to understand how it is really any business of the state to say who can and can't marry; just like it should not be their business to determine who does and does not have an abortion.  


So I wonder what is going through the last undecided GOP State Senator this morning?  Is he praying on the vote he will cast?  Is he listening to the perspective of his constituents? I am assuming it is a HE.  Rude of me, I know.  What will be the finally deciding factor for this Senator?  I hope it is that love is universal and blind and we don't always choose who we fall in love with.  Trust love, give rights, and support people of all kinds-shapes, 
colors, income levels, and sexual preference.  Love is love.  Let Marriage RING!


To Marriage!


Truly,
Meredith


P.S.  Here is an interesting article from the NYU Alumni Connect Archivist's Angle Where Pride Began: The LGBT Movement at NYU

No comments:

Post a Comment